Snow visitors: Please use caution when coming to play in the snow. Idyllwild is now a snow destination with hundreds of people visiting the San Jacinto Mountains after a snow storm.
• Snow chains or tires may be required. They are required today, Thursday, Jan. 19. Before you leave your home, check http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi and type in either 243 or 74, depending on which direction you are coming up here from. For up to the minute road hazards you may also want to check http://cad.chp.ca.gov/Traffic.aspx.
• If you pull over to the side of the road to play, make sure your vehicle is not over the white line on the highway or blocking traffic on any roads. If so, CHP may issues citations or may have your vehicle towed at your expense.
• Do not play on private property. Residents may call the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department to have you removed and that would spoil your fun.
• Take only photos and leave only footprints (or snow angels). Please take your trash with you. We are not a city and do not have the resources to clean up afterward.
Please enjoy playing in the snow and be sure to visit our wonderful local shops and restaurants.
Visit http://www.pcwd.org/webcam.html to see current traffic conditions on Highway 243 in Pine Cove.
Visit http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?textField1=33.74&textField2=-116.718#.WIFqPpK9Ypk for current weather conditions.
Visitantes de nieve: Por favor, tenga cuidado al venir a jugar en la nieve. Idyllwild es ahora un destino de nieve con cientos de personas que visitan las montañas de San Jacinto después de una tormenta de nieve.
• Si se tira hacia el lado de la carretera para jugar, asegúrese de que su vehículo no esté sobre la línea blanca de la autopista o bloquee el tráfico en ninguna carretera. Si es así, CHP puede emitir citas o puede tener su vehículo remolcado a su cargo.
• No juegue en la propiedad privada. Los residentes pueden llamar al Departamento del Sheriff del Condado de Riverside para que lo retire y eso estropearía su diversión.
• Tome sólo fotos y deje solo huellas (o ángeles de nieve).
Por favor, lleve su basura con usted. No somos una ciudad y no tenemos los recursos para limpiar después. Por favor disfrute jugando en la nieve y asegúrese de visitar nuestras maravillosas tiendas y restaurantes locales.
Visite http://www.pcwd.org/webcam.html para ver las condiciones actuales de tráfico en la carretera 243 en Pine Cove.
Idyllwild is many things to many people. For some it is the perfect respite from the chaos of day-to-day city living; others love the wonderful artist community and the talented musicians that play at local restaurants and pubs; outdoor enthusiasts love the hiking trails, mountain biking, and rock climbing. Families also come to show their children the place their parents brought them as children; they marvel at how little the community has changed over the years. Visitors also remark about the gracious welcome they receive and the kindness of the locals they meet.
Idyllwild is also well known for what it doesn’t have – there are no signal lights in Idyllwild, no fast food chains, no Starbucks (we do have a coffee house), and no Big Box stores – just lots of Mom & Pop stores and boutiques – like in the “old days.”
You will be surprised at the number of world-class restaurants in Idyllwild serving everything from American to Mexican to Italian and Italian-Fusion cuisine. You will also find many local, renowned musicians playing at some of these establishments in the evening hours. Idyllwild is also home to one of only two residential Art Schools in the US – Idyllwild Arts Academy. The students host – for free – a number of performances annually.
The Fall and Winter months are especially beautiful in our mountain community and there are many Holiday events in and around town, including the lighting of our magnificent Christmas Tree in the heart of town.
Whatever your reason for coming to Idyllwild, we are certain you’ll find even more reasons to come back. And, as always, the folks in Idyllwild welcome you.